Thursday, December 13, 2012

Writing Laws

I don't know how others react, but when I read about writing it creates an interesting dynamic. If I agree with what I've read, it turns into law. I'm going to share a few examples and in doing so I'm not stating the examples are perfect. I only hope they show my point.

For example I read how it's poor form to use "as" sentences. Such as (not in that way): Bob hit Bill as he laughed.

I understand that people can punch and laugh at the same time, but that's not point. It feels like a crutch. I'd rather say: Bob hit Bill, laughing with each connection.

The other thing that I read and turned to law was nix ly-adverbs. It's better to show the action than state He cautiously picked up the mug. I like...He picked up the mug with both hands and stepped toward his seat one for every two a normal human would take.

The examples I provided are most likely not awesome. I know that. Not the point. I've ingrained these as laws in my writing. I don't use "as" sentences nor ly-adverbs endlessly (ha). On occasion I find it useful to use either, but I've seen writers use them like a crutch and it makes me cringe.

When I help others with their writing I don't use my laws to lord over their writing. It's only for my writing. So someone else's "as" sentences will stay if it reads well.

I am not, however, someone that thinks that there are strict writing laws.

What things you've read about writing that turned into laws you abide?

No comments:

Post a Comment