Sunday, January 20, 2013

16 Personalities Fit what 9 Uglies

I don't know why I didn't think of using Myers-Briggs 16 Personalities before. I sketched out my Ugly Fool Characters and I think an added touch of making them one of the sixteen would make it easier to wrangle them.

I have "Please Understand Me II" by David Keirsey and I read the hell out of that book. I went to highlighting heaven. It's one of the few books I couldn't put down. I gobbled it up. During 2004 and 2005 I made any and everyone I knew take that test so I could give them their personality, and it was so much fun.

How many people took the test? I kept totals. Yes, yes I did. 73 people.

Reading the personality I scored as made me laugh. I nodded a lot. I even pointed out where I'm similar with Jeremiah Jericho. I did model him after a few of my traits, but overall I wanted him to be different and he is. He's more confident than I ever was as a teenager and comfortable being different. Not totally comfortable. I guess it's an odd combination of wanting to be comfortable and exuding enough of it to seem comfortable. Inside of his own head he's not comfortable. He's rather uncomfortable. It's getting a bit deep.

With my 9 little Uglies I need to separate them from me. It's easier with them than it is with Jeremiah Jericho. I put so much connection with me and him that it's easier to write him. I sometimes wonder if anyone who reads it gets what's actually going on. Jeremiah Jericho has his voice, Christopher's voice and Jeffrey's voice housed in his head. That's not normal. Even in character world's, it's not normal. Characters have their own space when they're inside their own head. They don't share. That's their retreat. Jeremiah has to share. There's a rich reason for that.

The 9 Uglies (as I've now coined as their nickname. I like it.) are nothing like me. These are people I don't think would ever choose to hang out with me. Even if I fit their idea candidate for their club's helping. I asked a question on a website that a few writers frequent, Would you be friends with your characters? How would you get along with them? I got some interesting answers, but I thought that I would get along fine with Jeremiah Jericho. The 9 Uglies would be a different story. Maybe they wouldn't mind me and I'd mind them more. Most of them, I believe, would rub me the wrong way and I couldn't be in the same room as them. I think Laleh, Lalana, Fallon, Grayson and Sanford would be the most difficult for me to relate to. Unity and Yannis I would connect with. Oliver and Olivia would be a hit and miss kind of deal. Maybe with Olivia but not Oliver.

I love them. They're my characters. I just don't think we'd hang out and go clubbing or whatever.

I'm going to work on the 9 Uglies' personalities tomorrow and hammer out a new episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment